Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Covetous Coconut Creations



Pirates made from coconuts - so funny!  I could be a coconut pirate, but for now I'll just share some other coconut creations to covet.

I opened the fridge yesterday to grab a scone when I noticed a leftover container with something in white in it.  Not recalling what it could be I cautiously opened the lid and peeked inside.  It looked like whipped cream.  Had Mark been holding out on me?  When did we get and whip up any whipped cream?  Then I sniffed.  The whipped cream smelled like coconut.  Next I stuck my finger into it (it felt like whipped cream) and tasted it and...

HOLY-MOLY WOWZERS!

Then I remembered.  Mark had told me he couldn't get the coconut milk to blend so he had stuck it in the blender for a few seconds.  What he didn't know was that when he stuck the blended coconut milk into the fridge it set.  It set into a frothy whipped yummy goodness and became whipped coconut milk - any day rival to the real deal.  It was like whipped cream and creme frache all mixed up in one but with the light taste of, well, coconut.  

You know what I did, right?  I mean I WAS grabbing a scone from the fridge, and what goes with scones like nothing else?  Creme Frache, of course.  And I had this perfect creme frache look-a-like right there in front of me, complete with finger marks.  I couldn't resist.  I plopped a heaping dollop on both sides of the scone got the coffee that my cat, Jazz, made me make (really - she was running between the coffee maker and the fridge and looking at me intently - she knew it was "time for a little something" and she wanted to make sure I made coffee and not some fruit smoothy thing, 'cus those fruit smoothy things do not contain milk - her favorite thing on earth!) Anyway, I grabbed the now glorified scone and that milky coffee and headed back to my studio to relish in this new found accidental creation all the while thinking, "My husband is a genius!"  I was so engrossed I forgot to take a picture.

Later that night, however, I introduced my husband to his geniusness by taking a slice of his carrot cake and putting a big heap of whipped coconut goodness onto it.  He agrees, he's a genius.  This time I got a picture.



But wait there's more!  Not only did we have this homemade coconut adventure we've also been continuing to test out more products from Luna and Larry's Organic Coconut Bliss.  Remember I blogged about their Dark Chocolate Coconut Bars?  Well we couldn't help but try one of their ice-cream creations as well.  Still non-dairy, still organic, still fair trade, still magnificent!  The flavor we picked up was the Cappuccino - we love our coffee flavored frozen desserts - so it had to be the first one for us to try.  You know what we discovered?  Coffee and coconut, together, rock!  Wow, this was delicious.  I highly recommend it - but beware, it is rather addictive and disappears far to quickly.  They need to work on that - maybe the miraculously refilling coconut ice cream container could be their next endeavor.  Or maybe my genius of a husband will figure it out - I can dream can't I?


9 comments:

Lili said...

Wow, your husband IS a genius! Oh, I picked up my spinach and sweet potatoes, and I'm thinking I will just use tofu in place of the tempeh. I love sweet desserts a little too much and I've decided to withdraw for a bit so I can't even comment on that scrumptious combination you talked about on this post. Oops looks like I just did. ~Lili

Walnuts and Honey said...

Those are some scary heads lol... muchos interessante though!

Keep it up :D

Kiley said...

Thanks again for the wonderful review of our products. I'm delighted to hear that you are loving them!
Coconut Bliss does the same thing in the fridge, it doesn't melt but turns into a wonderful whipped creation-it's Larry's son favorite way to enjoy one of our pints :)
Kiley from Coconut Bliss

Maurie Kirschner said...

Kiley - That is good to know - I'll have to give it a try sometime - if a pint lasts that long! We picked up the mint last night and we're looking forward to trying it.

Lili - I'm so excited that you are trying out the recipe. Let me know how it goes with tofu!

Fortunas - Thanks!

Kiley said...

I will admit that I haven't done it yet, I like mine frozen.. but strawberry season is almost here and I bet it would be great with some fresh strawberries!

Sophia Lee said...

Ha! Talk about an accidental culinary genius! Nice!

Love the coconut heads...wish I could hang some in my room! Hee hee

Anonymous said...

I love ANYTHING coconut! Yummm..can't wait to try. I wish you were my next door neighbor so I can learn all these amazing tricks from you and your husband :)

Anonymous said...

MMMMM!! First of all, I LOVE that Coconut Bliss ice cream treat!! (It's pretty much the only 'ice cream' I'll ever buy anymore!) Secondly, My room mate made coffee one day and sighed in agony as she realized she was out of cream and was going to have to make a special trip to the store just for that. I realized I had a can of coconut milk and brilliantly came up with the idea to try it in our coffee. It was AMAZING! Pretty much our new favorite thing. :)

<3Christiana

Dawn Fine said...

I have been wanting to try that coconut ice cream and now i will..great recipes in here..i will be back to try a few!